Thursday, December 13, 2012

Back in Toronto

Well I made it safely back to Toronto as I outlined in my GoFundMe update.  I will replicate what I wrote here just to save some time in case people here haven't read it (I have also added a new update after):

"I'm now back home safe and (mostly) sound with my family in Toronto. :) The flight home wasn't as bad as I feared but it was no picnic :( - meds, my brace, wheelchair service at the airport and the random kindness of a family from Hyderabad on the flight made it manageable though. 

As of now I'm pretty sore and my rehab and physiotherapy begins in earnest. I should be in good shape by about 3 months according to my surgeon, but the road won't be easy (or cheap :P).

On a happier note, I wanted to give thanks to everyone who has helped out here or in other ways thus far. :) The response has been overwhelming and truly humbling. I also wanted to single out my friend Ben Reynolds who took the time and financial resources to accompany me to Barcelona. He was truly indispensable and I don't know how I could possible have coped over the past week and a half without him. :)"

As for now, I am week 2 post surgery and as of today I am done with the steri-strips on my incision - which looks good considering - and I am also done with the self injected blood thinner.  I have to say a good way to get over a fear of needles is to inject them into yourself daily. :O

My rehab is coming along - today I was able to walk from home to near to Lawrence and back.  This was a good practice run for when I am able to pick Daniel up at Daycare again.  I am also able to use the elliptical machine if I take it super easy - nice for when it is too cold outside and / or snowing.  One more week and I also get clearance for driving in a car - nicely just in time for the holidays. :)  That will mark week 3 and I will be a quarter of the way to the critical 3 month mark when I get new x-rays to ensure the discs haven't shifted. Fingers and toes crossed on that. :|

As far as pain goes, overall it is sort of an up and down affair - my back hasn't really recovered yet from the trip back home.  I think I really stressed my muscles that day and it will be a while before they recover.  I also can't sleep through the night comfortably yet: I wake up around 4ish in quite a bit of pain, its tough to get back to sleep, but I got some more pain meds today for that so hopefully that will do the trick.

Overall though things seem to be moving in the right direction.  It is just really hitting me that this is going to be a very slow and up and down recovery, but as long as the overall trendline keeps the same I should be okay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment